$1,000 CASH AWARD
As part of its commitment to innovative programming and creative educational outreach that promotes young artists, Cantate Chamber Singers announces its twelfth biennial Young Composers’ Contest.
- The contest is limited to residents of the United States and Canada not older than 35 years on May 31, 2019 (born after May 31, 1983).
- Only one work per composer will be accepted.
- All entries must include an Application Form.
- Entries shall be scored for SATB, 4 to 8 parts, a cappella, or with strings and/or organ accompaniment, and be no more than five minutes.
- The text should fit the concert program theme of “New Voices, Ancient Words.” Contestants are responsible for obtaining permission to use non-public domain text.
- Entries must be clearly identified as to title and source of text. The composer’s name must not appear on the score. A pseudonym shall be clearly printed on the manuscript and on the Application Form. Compositions are to remain anonymous to the judges.
- Do not send recordings, or MIDI realizations.
- Cantate Chamber Singers claims the right of first performance. Entries must be works that have never been performed in any form in public nor in a studio, classroom or workshop, except for academic purposes. Entries may have been previously submitted in other contests, providing that no part of the composition has been a prize-winning entry.
- Performance of the prize-winning piece is anticipated during the 2019-2020 season. However, Cantate reserves the right to award the prize without performance. It also reserves the right to make no award if, in the opinion of the judges, the compositions submitted do not meet standards of excellence.
- Compositions and Application Forms must be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and received no later than 11:59 p.m. EDT, May 31, 2019.
“I was so happy to be a winner of the Cantate Chamber Singers Young Composers’ Contest in 2007. It helped launch my career as a composer, and it gave me the chance to have my work brought to life by a dedicated ensemble of singers committed to championing new music.”
– Dominick DiOrio
For more information, contact email@example.com