$1,000 CASH PRIZE COMMISSION
As part of its commitment to innovative programming and creative educational outreach that promotes young artists, Cantate announces its fourteenth biennial Young Composers Competition.
● The competition is limited to residents of the United States and Canada not older than 35 years on June 30, 2023 (born after June 30, 1987).
● All submissions must include a sample composition and be made through our application portal or by PDF submitted to email@example.com. Only one submission will be accepted per composer. Entries must be clearly identified as to title and source of text. The composer’s name must not appear on the score. A pseudonym shall be clearly printed on the manuscript and on the application form. Compositions are to remain anonymous to the judges.
● The sample composition shall be scored for SATB chorus, 4- to 8-part, a cappella or with keyboard accompaniment. Newly composed works or works composed within the past five years are welcome.
● Additional sample compositions may be requested by the judges.
● Please do not send recordings or MIDI realizations.
● The winner of the competition will receive a $1,000 commission to compose an original SATB piece of approximately five minutes in length to text selected by the Music Director. Cantate claims the right to the premiere of this piece.
● Performance of the commissioned piece is anticipated in the spring of the 2023-2024 season; however, Cantate reserves the right to award the prize without performance. It also reserves the right to make no award if, in the opinion of the judges, the compositions submitted do not meet standards of excellence.
● Applications and sample compositions (in PDF form) may be submitted by Google Form (available here) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and received no later than 11:59 p.m. EDT, June 30, 2023.
● A winner will be announced no later than September 1, 2023.
● The final score of the winner’s commissioned composition will be due by November 30, 2023. The $1,000 commission will be paid upon receipt of the final score.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
CANTATE Chamber Singers and Concert Choir attract many of the Washington, D.C., area’s finest choral musicians, selected annually by audition. CANTATE performs a broad range of great Western choral literature spanning the past five centuries and is recognized for championing neglected masterpieces and premiering newly commissioned works. Its virtuoso performances, often featuring acclaimed guest artists, are offered in smaller venues to create the greatest possible intimacy between performers and audience.
Comments are closed.