Of Saints and Royals:
The Music of Henry Purcell and Benjamin Britten
Saturday, April 27, 2013 7:30pm
St. John's Norwood Parish
6701 Wisconsin Avenue
Chevy Chase, Maryland
"It is always a joy to attend the premiere of a new piece of music, and on March 31, 2012, Gisèle Becker led the Cantate Chamber Singers in a stunning performance of my piece, "Later," winner of Cantate's 8th Young Composers' Contest. Becker extracted depth, subtle shapes, richness and lovely lines from the ensemble. Good performances with adequate interpretation and dramatic integrity happen often enough, but to have a director and ensemble take care to find and deliver a piece's nuances is a rare treat. Bravo Gisèle and bravo Cantate!"
--Joshua Hummel, Young Composers' Contest winner, 2012.
Cantate Announces its
9th Biennial Young Composers' Competition
As part of its commitment to "innovative programming and creative educational outreach that promotes young artists," Cantate Chamber Singers announces its ninth biennial Young Composers’ Contest for residents of the U.S. and Canada, 35 years old or younger.
$1,000 CASH AWARD
Submission Deadline: July 1, 2013
See page for details.
Who are the Cantate Chamber Singers?
- One of the Washington region's most critically acclaimed chamber choruses, a 32-35 voice auditioned vocal ensemble devoted to artistically exciting performances of distinctive choral music and to promoting awareness of the choral art.
- Music Director, Gisèle Becker, recognized throughout the Washington area and beyond as a leading choral conductor, and as an outstanding interpreter of music of the Baroque period.
- Imaginative, innovative programming presented in a concert series of a cappella and accompanied
sacred and secular works spanning five centuries, with strong commitment to performing and commissioning new choral works.
- Concert Series offered in Montgomery County, Maryland and throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
- Growing following with 250 - 450 person audience per concert, donor base of more than 150 households, and mailing list of 2,600+.
- Fostering the creation of new choral music through a Composer-in-Residence program and a biennial Young Composers' Contest.